COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program
What is the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program?
The COVI D-19 Housing Assistance Program provides housing assistance payments to help prevent eviction, prevent homelessness, and maintain housing stability for eligible renters and homeowners. Local administrators will review applications from individuals and families requesting assistance, verify eligibility,
and process payments for eligible expenses on behalf of households.
KOOTASCA Community Action is one of the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program local administrators around the state that is working with individuals located in Itasca and Koochiching county.
Am I eligible to apply?
To qualify for housing assistance, Minnesota households must meet all of the following criteria:
- Income at or below 300% of federal poverty guidelines, with a preference for those at or below 200% of federal poverty guidelines.
- Have an eligible expense that was incurred after March 1, 2020 that is past due. Housing assistance funds can only be used for eligible expenses incurred between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020.
- Be unable to make one or more payments owed because of the public health emergency due to unemployment, illness, or another COVI D-19 related issue.
What expenses are covered?
The program covers past due housing expenses such as:
- Rent payments
- Mortgage payments
- Contract for deed payments
- Manufactured home park lot rents and payments
- Utility payments
- Homeowners Association fees
For complete details on who is eligible to apply and what costs are covered by the program, visit www.211unitedway.org. Interested applicants may also call 211 (Toll Free: 1.800.543.7709) or text “MNRENT” to 898-211 to learn more.