Social Security Advocacy

Do you or your child need help applying for disability benefits?

Applying for federal Social Security disability benefits can be a challenge. Our advocates are available to help you navigate the application process.

SOAR for Adults?

Program eligibility requires you to be homeless or at risk of homelessness (within 14 days of becoming homeless). Homeless is a broad definition for this program, but if you are living in a shelter, on the streets, couch hopping, your rent is paid for by a grant such as HUD or you are fleeing domestic violence, you qualify as homeless.  You must have documented mental or physical health disabilities that have lasted more than 12 months, and not be making over $1,450 a month in earnings from working.

SOAR for Children

This program requires you be homeless or at risk of homelessness (within 14 days of becoming homeless). Homeless is the same definition as for adults. The income is considered for both parents.  Children ages 0-17 should have documented disabilities.


You DO NOT need to be homeless or at risk for this program, but you need to be participating in one of the following assistance programs.  Diversionary Work Program (DWP), General Assistance (GA) or Tribal Assistance, Housing Support (GRH), Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), Refugee Cash Assistance or Title IV-E Foster Care.  You also need to live in Minnesota and be under the age of 65.

Through KOOTASCA’S SOAR/Advocacy Programs, certified caseworkers can help individuals confidentially navigate the application process of filing for Social Security Disability. The caseworker will collect medical records, fill out all forms, write necessary reports, and submit your initial applications. If a denial is received our caseworkers are able to submit a reconsideration request for the client.

Our Caseworkers are professionally certified by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to serve children and adults.