PCs for People
KOOTASCA’s PCs for People program creates new opportunities by providing affordable personal computers to low-income individuals and families. To receive computer equipment from PCs for People, a potential recipient must be below the 200% poverty level or be currently enrolled in an income-based government assistance program.
PCs for People in Grand Rapids is a distribution site for PCs for People. PCs for People in Grand Rapids is not a computer repair or drop off recycling site.
Refurbished desk top computers:
$75: Suitable for many home uses including school work, internet, videos and recreation; 4 GB RAM, up to 320 GB hard drive, Windows 10, Microsoft Office, and anti-virus protection
$100: Fastest computer PCs for People has available, good for games, videos, and more; 4 to 6 GB RAM, 320 to 500 GB hard drive, Windows 10, Microsoft Office, and anti-virus protection
Desktop packages include:
- 15” flat screen, tower, keyboard, mouse, and connecting/power cords
- Larger flat screens are available for an additional cost
$100: Up to 250 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, Windows 10, mid to high end processor, Microsoft Office, and anti-virus protection
$150: 250 to 500 GB hard drive, 4 to 6 GB RAM, Windows 10, higher end processor, Microsoft Office, and anti-virus protection
*All equipment is subject to availability.
To receive services from PCs for People a recipient must be below 200% of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines or be currently enrolled in an income-based government assistance program.
A recipient must have available:
- A photo ID
- Eligibility proof document dated within the last 6 months (unless it is an annual document, like a tax return) with the recipient’s name printed on the proof
Accepted Eligibility Documents
We require a document showing enrollment in an income-based government assistance program. All proof of eligibility must be dated within the last 6 months (unless it is an annual document, like a tax return), and include the recipient’s name printed on the proof.
- Adult or Child Mental Health Case Management
- Employment Services
- Food Support (a dated letter showing current eligibility is required)
- Financial Assistance, such as GA, MFIP, etc. (a dated letter showing current eligibility is required)
- Head Start
- Energy Assistance Program
- Medicaid or Medical Assistance (bring a document that states currently receiving assistance)
- Free or Reduced Lunch Program
- Section 8, Federal Public Housing Assistance, Group Residential Housing (GRH), Transitional Housing Program (THP), or other Federal funded rent assistance program
- Social Security Disability (SSD)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veteran’s status – *Income needs to be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines
- Note: Medicare alone does not work as proof of eligibility.
Below are some examples of documentation for proof of income:
- The prior year’s state, federal, or tribal tax return (W2 forms or pay stubs are not acceptable)
- A Social Security statement of benefits
- A Veteran Administration statement of benefits
- A retirement/pension statement of benefits
- An Unemployment/Workmen’s Compensation statement of benefits
- Federal or tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
Equipment purchased through PCs for People in Grand Rapids is warrantied for a limited timeframe from date of original purchase. Faulty equipment will be replaced not repaired. Issues caused by the user such as physical damage, viruses, malware, installation of password protections and lost passwords are not covered under the warranty. PCs for People does not provide cash refunds.
Donating a Computer
We accept donations of used computers at our Grand Rapids office during store hours.
We accept donations of the following equipment:
- Desktop and Laptop Computers with acceptable system processors (contact us for details)
- LCD screens
- Computer speakers
- Cords: Power and VGA
We cannot accept:
- CRT monitors
- Non-working equipment
- Computer parts
- DVD players
- Satellite equipment
- Apple equipment
- Cell phones
For more information please contact:Rob Foster